Friday, September 9, 2011

In Surgery (Third times the charm)

Kaidence went into surgery at 9am. She was so excited that she couldn't sleep last night. She couldn't wait to "go and see her friends" I asked who her friends were....IV team made the list. Not sure that they have many friends in this place. Abby... you made her list too!

Dr. Smith is doing the nerve on the left side and then will work on the nerves on the right side as well. He is hoping that the nerves on the right side will grow and branch out over time. This will help improve the function of the right vocal chord that is damaged. The left side is completely paralyzed, so he will connect the old nerve with the new nerve from her neck. It may take anywhere from 4-6 months to gain full function. We've waited this long, whats a few more months? The surgery should take a few hours. Its' a tedious one and they just informed me that they are starting the hard part..... whatever that means. The plan is to spend the night in post op.

I just got a call from the OR. Before the nurse told me how things were going she went on to tell me that the moment K went into the OR that they could tell that she was a very special little girl. She said that she was so happy and sweet. She has touched their hearts. She gave her bear bear a mask with gas, laid down and held her bear until she fell asleep. The nurse said they haven't seen a kid with a medical history like hers so happy to be here. She is truly unique.

I wanted to cry as she went to the OR because she was SO HAPPY. She kept turning around and waving at me. That sweet little girl hasn't stopped telling me that she loves me. After sending her into the OR I told Mike that once again I have no doubt that this is all part of Kaidence's earthly journey. Heavenly Father has given her every single thing that she will ever need to fulfill this journey of hers with a happy heart and a spirit that can penetrate the hearts of others.

I will keep you posted.


cici said...

A prayer for a sweet girl.