Saturday, March 1, 2008

LOW WHITE BLOOD CELLS!

Today Kaidence threw up and her white count is down again (not good). Let me TRY to explain what they THINK is going on, but I don't completely understand it. Because Kaidence is immunosuppressed she has fewer white blood cells (WBC) to fight off infection. However, there are many different types of WBC's. The white cells that Kaidence does have are the weaker of the WBC's, the big guns (T cells) have been suppressed. So these cells that she does have are her last defense to fight off infection of sorts. They noticed that the WBC she does have are decreasing over the post couple of weeks. They think that because these numbers have been so low (as low as .2) that Kaidence was exposed to something and unable to fight it off. They are wondering if one of her medications is causing her numbers to drop. They are starting to take her off 1 med at a time to see if they can figure which one. Once they find an answer they are unsure what they will do since Kaidence does need all of these medications to either keep her heart from rejecting or to protect her against things that could be serious for an immunosuppressed person.

Other than that we are just waiting to see what happens. Ironically we are above our old room in the PICU. Same view and all. I think I am a little depressed because I would love to go home and I know that we will be back later this month for her procedure and afraid that we will have a hard time getting out of here then as well. I know that sounds so negative so that is all you will hear of that.

McCaden and Camden came up today. Kaidence was very excited to see her brothers. McCaden took part in a sort of day camp that PCMC had today for siblings of those that have life threatening illnesses. He seemed to enjoy himself and it was good for him to see that other kids like him have parents that have to stay at the hospital a lot as well. Camden and I had fun cuddling and watching movies. We had a picnic at the Rainbow Cafe as well.

For the most part things are well and we are grateful that things aren't as bad as they can be.

4 comments:

brodie stacey allie said...

I just stumbled upon your blog through Shalyse’s. Shauntell, you truly are my hero! On every post you are positive and you never give up on the Lord. You are an incredible example to me. Thank you for sharing your experiences and I want you to know that your family is in my prayers. I pray that Kaidence will return home soon and you and your family will continued to be blessed.
Stacey (Lay) Nielson

Wendy P said...

We continue to pray for you and be inspired by your faith. We hope you are back home soon as well. Just want to check in with you and let you know we are still checking on you. Love you, Wendy & Sarah

Crystal said...

Shauntelle... My prayers are with you and your sweet Kaidence. I sure hope they can figure things out and you will both get to go home soon. If you need anything, please let me know. I know you don't know me, but I've been there and can relate...so PLEASE don't hesitate to ask.

Jen said...

Hang in there--your little fairy of faith has already proved what a fighter she is.
Love,
Jen
Luke's mom